Wearing the best knee brace for runner’s knee is effective in numbing a runner’s knee (pain around the kneecap). In more scientific terms, it is called the Patellofemoral pain syndrome, and it includes all pain-related problems of the joint.
Often, the predominant site of leg injuries is the knee. Common symptoms include pain in the front, all around, or behind the kneecap when walking, running, kneeling, or squatting.
So, then, the question becomes: what is the best knee support for runner’s knee? First and foremost, the brace should provide compression and stability to the injured knee. Also, it should manage inflammation and prevent more damage to the affected ligaments while reducing pain and easing mobility.
We hope you love the products we recommend! We only products that we thoroughly investigate and believe is a real value for you.
Sports Send may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. It is at no extra cost for you.
Knee Brace Comparison Chart
Best Knee Brace for Runner’s Knees: Brief Reviews
1. Ultra Sports Gear Knee Brace
Ultra Sports Gear specializes in manufacturing braces and supports for many different body parts, not just the knee.
The innovator, Dr. Ope PT, DPT, claims to have suffered from occasional knee pain. After trying different braces without success, he decided to create a brace tailored to suit his needs. His experience with the syndrome, therefore, qualifies him to build a quality product.
- It comes in two sizes, which are Regular (13.5” to 18”) and Large (18” to 24”). It also has Velcro enclosures and adjustable straps to ensure the perfect fitting.
- Comfortable to wear, thanks to two pairs of side springs that enhance mobility and flexibility
- A non-slip strip made of silicone gel helps this brace stay firmly in place for as long as you need it to.
- Patella silicone gasket with spring stabilizers to aid stability and relieve pain
- Neoprene fabric decreases sweating below the kneecap
- Confirmed to treat ACL tear, arthritis, and dislocation
- Relatively affordable price
- Designed and tested by its creator himself. If you’re looking for trustworthiness, this is your best bet.
- Re-adjustable straps
- A little bulky
2. Blitzu Flex Plus Compression Knee Brace
Since 2010, the Blitzu brand has produced many highly-rated products. Moreover, all of their products have been proven to be durable and efficient. Blitzu Flex Plus Compression Knee Brace is an exceptional brace for runner’s knee.
- Stylish and appealing design
- Augmented patella stabilizer crafted to position your ACL, PCL, LCL, and MCL ligaments correctly
- You may choose from a Small (14.5” to 17”), Medium (17” to 19.5”), and Large size (19.5” to 22”) to ensure a tight fit.
- The product comes in a paired package for both knees. It reduces pain and inflammation in the affected knee while protecting your other knee just in case.
- Hastens arthritis, tendonitis, swelling, sprains, and post-surgery recovery
- Provides a knee massage action to improve sensory-motor functions at the kneecap
- The heating effect complements blood circulation and also speeds up muscular recovery, healing, and rehabilitation.
- Unique knit structure that enables a 360-degree stretch capability, significantly improving flexibility and durability
- Latex-free yet still durable. Excellent for people allergic to rubber latex.
- Comes as a pair and not just one knee brace
- Durable and stylish
- Not available in half sizes
3. PowerLix Compression Knee Sleeve
PowerLix began the development of new generation knee braces in 2017, distinguishing itself from most other similar companies. The lightweight design of their braces establishes a remarkable record in building a brace for runner’s knee.
- Long length with stable pressure application across the knee joint. The constant pressure reduces the pains of Meniscus tear, sores, stiffness, ACL, PCL, MCL (ligaments), and other symptoms of runner’s knee.
- Comes in five different sizes: small (S), medium (M), large (L), extra-large (XL), and extra-extra-large (XXL).
- Provides support, comfort, and pain relief without limiting mobility
- The tight compression structure prevents slipping, keeps the joints stable, and aids blood flow.
- There is no itchiness, which is common to Neoprene-based fabrics.
- Excellent sweat-absorption feature
- Eliminates odor effectively
- Fashionable. The long blue/black design makes it stylish.
- Comes with a six-month-long money-back guarantee
- Protected with a 14-day return-free policy
- You need to buy a size higher for a better fit, or else, it will be too tight
4. UFLex Athletics Knee Sleeve
Working towards keeping athletes healthy for effective workout sessions, UFlex Athletics has a range of products designed to quicken the recovery of athletes from strenuous physical activities. These products prevent and help in the recovery of knee, ankle, and elbow injuries sustained by persons engaged in all types of sports.
The UFlex Athletics Knee Compression Sleeve is one of the best knee braces for runner’s knee. This one wrap sleeve is made from exceptional materials tested to meet the highest industry standards.
- The UFlex Athletics Knee Compression sleeve is a 10 ½ inches long, one wrap. It has graduated compression capabilities and rubber grips that fit both legs uniformly.
- Its four-way stretch offers all-around-the-knee support, making this the best solution for sportsmen engaged in sports with extreme knee joints movement.
- The compression sleeve uses a heating effect that increases blood flow to the joints, aiding in rapid muscle recuperation.
- Utilizes a gentle polymer fabric that does not itch or bunch up behind the knee
- Minimizes pain, soreness, swelling, and inflammation while improving knee stability
- The compression sleeve is reinforced with a double silicone resistance layer at the top of the thigh. This anti-slip layer provides a perfect grip when squatting, lifting weights, or doing stretches.
- The pain relief from the use of the UFlex Athletics Knee Compression Sleeve ensures you finish your training without major joint injuries.
- They are well ventilated. This keeps you comfortable in extreme weather conditions.
- The compression sleeve is available in either large, medium, or small sizes to fit men, women, and kids.
- Excellent sizing and flexibility
- Has anti-slip capabilities
- Retails with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Ideal for all types of high-impact sports and for everyday use
- Good value for money
- The anti-slip grip may feel too tight for some users
5. Bodyprox Knee Brace
Bodyprox is a popular brand that offers injury-prevention products that are designed to help speed up recovery and to alleviate pain. The Bodyprox Knee Brace is only one of the many products that they have on their arsenal that would help provide support and protection to your knees.
- This knee brace is designed to have a universal fit. It is made to fit all adult builds so that you don’t have to worry about the sizing.
- This comes with flexible side stabilizers, which are made to reduce stress and relieve the pressure on your knees. This also ensures that the product doesn’t slip as you go about your activities or practice your sport.
- The Velcro-designed strap on this knee brace is a knee patella support strap that will wrap around the exterior part of your knee brace. You can adjust the tightness depending on your preference.
- Patella gel pads are added to help you bend your knee with less stress and allow you to experience comfortable movements. This is recommended for those who have previous injuries on their knees and those who have just undergone knee surgeries.
- This product uses high-grade Neoprene material, which is both breathable and absorbent. In turn, this feature prevents rashes and skin allergies.
- This is designed to address and relieve the pain and symptoms associated with strains and sprains as well as LCL, MCL, and ACL problems, tendonitis pain, arthritis, and meniscus tear.
- Made from high-quality breathable material
- Very flexible
- Stays in place
- Convenient to use
- A bit bulky
6. TechWare Pro Knee Brace Support
TechWare Pro is a company focused on manufacturing products that will improve your ability to enjoy your favorite sports and activities. Their products are meant to provide the necessary protection and support to help you do any outdoor activities without being worried about injuries and more.
The TechWare Pro Knee Brace Support is one of this brand’s proudest creations. It is specially designed to ensure that you get the support and comfort you need.
- The alternating hook-and-loop straps provide even compression and protection on your knees. This bi-directional support ensures that the patella stays in its proper place, thus ensuring your safety and pain relief. In turn, you get to perform your best without the fear of hurting your knees.
- This brace offers consistent pain relief. Regardless if you deal with knee pain once in a while, or you experience it every time you do some activities, this knee brace will provide the pain relief that you need.
- This product offers both compression and support. It wraps around the knee yet still allows you to have full mobility.
- This lets you achieve better knee stability because of the open design around the patella as well as four spring stabilizers. This design protects both the tendon areas and kneecap to further promote healing.
- The breathable and moisture-wicking neoprene material, as well as the silicone strips on this knee brace, provides the best comfort that you’d expect from a high-quality product. As a result, you get to enjoy all-day comfort and protection.
- Offers amazing flexibility
- Made from high-quality materials
- Provides improved healing and support
- Available in four size options
- Specially designed to address runner’s knee
- A bit stiff and bulky
- The rubber backing may not be suitable for sensitive skin
7. Bracoo KS10 Knee Support
Bracoo is a company specializing in the best and the highest quality sporting equipment. They have combined innovative technology and high-quality materials to produce the best equipment and gear for various sports. The Bracoo KS10 Knee Support is one of the brand’s most innovative knee braces.
- This product is a fully-customizable knee brace. It contains three straps that you can attach to any point of the exterior to provide a better fit on your knees. It can also prevent the brace from slipping while exercising or playing. With this design, more users with different needs can benefit from this product.
- The reinforced stabilizer ring features an open patella design, which will help relieve the stress around your knee area. This will ensure the successful prevention of re-injury.
- This knee brace also contains padded stabilizers that will prevent displacement. It will guide the knee cap to the right motion.
- This knee support is made from breathable, extra-thick neoprene fabric. This material will help retain warmth on your knees while supporting the tendons at the same time.
- Because of its overall build, this knee brace can be worn discreetly underneath everyday clothes, ensuring that you get the support you need whatever activity you plan on doing for the day.
- Designed with an amazing strap system
- Made from the best quality fabric
- Fits perfectly
- Effectively prevents sweat buildup
- The strap is a bit too tight
When nursing an injury or wanting to prevent injuries, adequate support and protection is need. Make sure that you can still do the activities that you are regularly doing without being hindered by the pain caused by a knee injury.
If you want to find the best runners knee brace, you need to know the most important features that a good brace should have.
One of the main reasons why you are buying a knee brace is to have the proper support your knee or knees require. While many are claiming they are the best, you cannot simply take their word for it, especially if you are nursing an injury. You have to do a thorough search to make sure that you can buy a knee brace that is suitable for the type of injury that you have.
Some knee braces would restrict your movement and control, while others are made to improve movement. Basically, the first thing to do is to determine whether or not you are planning to do activities that would require you to use your knees.
A prophylactic knee brace will be a good choice if you are looking for something that won’t restrict your movement. If you need a brace that would allow you to recover fast, and you are just planning to rest and only do some light activities, rehabilitative knee braces can be a good choice.
Knee braces come in different types and styles, so you need to know which one would be able to provide what you need. The market offers a ton of options, and if you don’t know what your needs and preferences are, then it would be a challenge for you to find the right product.
Below, we have listed the most common types of knee braces that you will find.
A hinged knee brace actually works as a protection against too much movement on your knees. It is made to make sure that your knees won’t be under too much pressure when doing different activities.
Hinged braces usually have rigid bars that would serve as a form stabilizer. They also feature a locking device that would prevent your knee from bending excessively.
If you are looking to wear an ACL brace, know that this is designed to prevent excessive rotation on your knees. It will reduce the stress that your knee experiences when recovering from injury. This type of brace is often worn by athletes.
Basically, patellofemoral knee braces are made to handle the concerns on your patellofemoral joints. This brace allows the patella to stay in its position while the knee extends to a certain angle.
This is the most popular knee brace that you can use right now, and it is also the least complicated model that you can buy. Although, when it comes to its construction, a neoprene sleeve is extremely basic.
It is a type of knee brace that does not provide a lot of support and protection to your knees. After all, it is just a sleeve, but many still consider it as a knee brace.
The main purpose of this type of knee brace is to help retain the heat on your knee and reduce inflammation. If your knee is swelling, this is the best type of knee brace to use.
Knee immobilizers are worn right after a knee or ligament injury. Compared to other knee braces, this type of brace will go all the way up to your upper thigh.
This means that it will provide you with very little mobility. Since you have just suffered an injury, you won’t be allowed to make excessive movements, and this type of knee brace will make sure that it won’t happen.
This type of knee brace serves as a pain reliever. It has built-in plates on the side, along with a contoured plate, to protect your ligaments.
This is one of the most important factors that you need to consider when buying a knee brace. No matter what features your knee brace has, if it doesn’t fit your knees perfectly, then it won’t give you the things that you need.
You have to remember that a knee brace that is either too small or too big can do more harm than good. If a knee brace is too loose, you won’t get enough compression to get the support that you need.
Knee braces can come in different sizes. Make sure that you check the size table that the manufacturer provides to make sure that you get the right sizing. Measure your knees using a tape measure before buying one.
The measurement should be done just below your kneecap. If your doctor provided a recommended size, then follow that. You can also look for a one-size-fits-all knee brace. However, you need to be careful because even if they are made to fit everyone, there are cases when they don’t fit you perfectly.
Comfort is usually underrated when it comes to knee braces. Most people are just focused on support and compression because they think that as long as the knee brace can provide support, it is considered comfortable.
When you talk about comfort, you have to make sure that the brace fits perfectly. It should not be too loose or too tight. When you are moving, the brace should be able to provide the required mobility on your knees. It shouldn’t suppress you from doing your daily activities.
If you feel any discomfort when wearing the braces, it means that it is not the right one for you. The brace should be comfortable to wear and provide support at the same time. These two things work hand in hand when it comes to knee braces. The best runner’s knee brace allows you to make adjustments on the strap.
When wearing knee braces, sweat is one of the things that you are worried about. Sweating can be prevented by using a breathable knee brace. You have to choose a knee brace that will provide you the maximum ventilation.
Aside from looking for products with a breathable mesh, you can also look for braces that reduce heat retention and those equipped with moisture-wicking technology.
Do you have a lot of money to buy a knee brace? It doesn’t matter. You need to look for the best value. If you are on a tight budget, you will have to be more meticulous as there are some features that you may not really need.
How do you get the most value when it comes to knee braces? You have to make sure that the type of knee brace that you will buy can provide the things that you need. If you need knee support, fast healing, or more compression, you have to make sure that the knee brace can provide it.
There are tons of expensive brands out there, but it doesn’t mean that they are the best. As a matter of fact, you might even find a few cheaper brands that would provide the things that you need.
The most important thing that you have to check is how often you are going to use the knee brace. If you need to wear it daily, you have to look for a product made from the highest quality materials.
Other Important Things to Keep in Mind
Besides using braces for runner’s knee, there are other ways you can control your knee pain. Nonetheless, you should always consult a physician for any form of recurring pain, not just runner’s knee. Other possible solutions you could try are:
- Acupuncture. It involves (as the name suggests) puncturing sterilized skin using a plastic guide tube. If a skilled practitioner performs the procedure, your chances of making a full recovery are higher.
- Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation (RICE). Rest the knee frequently while elevated. Use ice to slow or stop the swelling and wrap a compression bag on the knee.
- Try to balance warm and cold temperatures on your leg. Place an ice pack or cold gel around the knee to reduce swelling. Then use a heating pad or warm water to warm the area and relieve stiffness.
- Painkillers. This seems to be the most obvious on the list. You would be surprised how many people remain oblivious to the profound benefits of analgesic drugs and natural medicines.
Keep in mind that people have different healing rates. When someone claims to have healed faster using any particular technique, it’s not guaranteed that you will too. You can always try new stuff for as long as it does not hurt you more.
After physical therapy for your leg, a medical professional will often suggest that you look for an appropriate knee brace. That is if the doctor doesn’t already have one for you. The best knee brace for runner’s knee will, without a doubt, make your runner’s knee disappear much faster than any traditional methods.