Running is a very low-maintenance sport which should always be comfortable. But, if you don’t get the best running underwear for women, you may never run faster, farther, or even stronger without going through some mishaps here and there. Unlike what we always assume, an elite runner will attest that the right running gear is not just about a good pair of running shoes. It is about the clothes you wear too. One such underrated piece is the underwear.
The Perfect Running Underwear Construction
Wearing the best running underwear for women is vital especially if you are in your monthly menstrual cycle and you need the extra support and protection for a pad, or if you want moisture-wicking underpants to avoid the unwanted swampy feeling. Go for comfortable, non-movement restricting, light, proper-fitting, stretchy, and breathable underpants with seamless construction.
The best underwear fabric for women includes DryFit, Thinsulate, Thermax, CoolMax, polypropylene, and silk. These fabrics have antimicrobial treatments that prevent odor. They also sustain you through a hot day by dispersing sweat from the delicate skin areas to keep you dry and free from the chaff.
Cotton fabrics, on the other hand, tend to absorb and retain moisture, which then harbors harmful microbes that can result in a yeast infection or a jock itch. The right underwear will not move from side to side or become visible under your leggings. Instead, its smoothly stitched extra wide waistband will keep the briefs close to your body and provide you with a good foundation for running by wicking away all the sweat build-up from an intense workout.
Brands such as Under Armour, Nike Pro, ASICS, Adidas and ExOfficio are known for their quality running underwear. Let’s sample three of the best running underwear for women under these iconic brands.
1. Under Armour Women’s Power
Retailing at a price range of $10 to $30, these black or white hipsters are made using very light fabric. The fabric is also treated with anti-odor chemicals to prevent the growth of any harmful bacteria. The edges of the pants are hem-free providing additional comfort to the runner. These pants have a fuller back that covers the butt area well coupled with a four-way stretch construction that allows natural movement in all directions. They are available in five different sizes: the extra small, small, medium, large, and extra-large. These stretchy hipsters are ideal when worn under running tights with gussets.
- Very stretchy and does not constrict movement during a workout
- Super thin allowing it to dry very quickly
- Can be machine washed
- A good fit for most women
- The fabric does not cover the butt area well especially for plus size women
- It is easily noticeable when worn under close-fitting shorts
2. ASICS Women’s ASX Boy Brief
These sheer like briefs are light in weight yet cutely designed with ruching at the back and sides. This enhances its outer shape while its soft plush knit-in gusset completes the smooth interior. The brief’s seamless fabric is 92% nylon and 8% polyester making it excellent in absorbing and dispersing moisture.
If you are looking for breathable and chafe-free comfortable silhouettes, then these briefs available in dark teal and black color will compliment your running shorts on your morning workout. The underwear is available in size ranges of small to extra-large with an inseam of 2.25 inches and a high waistline making them a perfect fit for everyone.
- They wedge up or in or cause chafing
- Easy to wash and dry
- Keeps you dry even on the hottest day
- Very affordable – At a price range of $13 to $55
- Is a tremendous sassy style for the athletic woman
- Have a removable tag
- The underwear has additional side and bum coverage on the hip area for extra comfort and modesty
- They are a bit see-through. You may need to wear them with other shorts.
- Might not be ideal for swimming or long workouts
3. ExOfficio Women’s Give-n-Go Sport Mesh Hipkini
This underwear is low-rise active fit underwear that is ideal for any high-energy activity both indoors and out on the track. Available in black, blue iris, and hot coral colors, this running underwear has a breathable diamond weave mesh fabric made from Nylon and Lycra spandex. They are the perfect make to keep you cool by allowing free airflow.
The bikini is soft and stretchy with moisture wicking attributes. The fabric is easy to clean and dries very fast. Its flatlock seams and smooth waistband prevent chaffing and it is available in Hi-Cut Brief, Bikini Brief, Bikini, Thong, Hipkini, and Bra varieties.
The material has an antimicrobial treatment that protects you from harmful bacterial infection and lousy odor while keeping you feeling and smelling fresh all day long. It is ideal for running, training, hiking, dancing, gym, cycling, and even traveling.
- The fabric is odor resistant
- Great sweat-wicking attributes – Ideal when running in humid conditions
- Stretches during strenuous activities allowing for flexibility
- Full coverage backside and does not ride up when running
- Though it can stay for several days without needing a wash, when washed, it dries super-fast
- Affordable price tag
- Not ideal to wear when in your menstruation since the pads don’t stick well to the underwear
- The high waistline may show above some pants
You can never underestimate the difference the right underwear makes on your running productivity. Unlike your regular underwear, the running underwear is specially designed with added features to keep you comfortable while doing high-intensity workouts. In the end, you may get rid of your regular underwear and enjoy the additional benefits of running underwear even when you are not on the track. Consequently, the best running underwear for women will save you a lot of money.