We all love our workout gear, don’t we? They make outdoor activities more comfortable and convenient. The best watches for active lifestyle are not an exception either. First of all, sports watches in the sports industry have gone through so much revolution and the result is a near-intelligent piece of gadget with numerous applications. For example, it is now possible to monitor your pulse rate, steps, temperature, and fatigue using only one device. And while at it, they also keep you abreast of all important notifications.
The market has been flooded by so many products with major players releasing new wares every so often. So which are the best watches for outdoor activities? What factors should you consider when shopping for such a watch? We took a review of some of the most popular brands in the market (Fitbit, Garmin, and Wesoo) and below are the verdicts.
Fitbit Charge 2
Fitbit has been in the sports watches industry for quite a while now. The charge 2 is sequel to the fitbit charge HR features a larger screen than its predecessor. For those mindful of their fashion, this elegant piece should satisfy you. The straps are larger and you can conveniently switch to whichever color you fancy. It has an OLED touchscreen which though not colored is easy to read. The watch is water resistant so it can handle a few splashes without much damage. It also has a guided breathing feature for a better user experience.
The auto sleep tracking and alarms will peacefully wake you up. The smart track feature automatically records exercises on its own even when you forget to. This watch is handy for any outdoor activity due to its multi-sport mode.
- GPS Connection
- Different custom bands
- Flashy design
- Multi-sport mode
- Not waterproof
- Straps are sold separately
- The screen is not colored
Garmin vivoactive HR
This is yet another elegant design from Garmin Vivoactive series that is only available in a shade of black. It has a display size of 28.6mmx20.7mm.The touchscreen is full LED and readable even under sunlight. It features a 24/7 heart rate monitor which is not however operational while swimming. The watch can be synchronized with your phone to enable smart notifications which are displayed on the screen.
The HR is available for both IOS and Android operating systems which allows you to download custom applications for your desired use. Thus if you are a sportsman in skiing, hiking, golf, cyclist, rowing or even swimming there are custom applications for your needs. Further, the watch has a GPS tracker which is very handy while running.
- Long battery life
- Light and compact
- Accurate tracking
- Custom applications for vast uses
- GPS support
- Dull design
- Pixels do not meet standard screen resolution
Wesoo K1 Fitness watch
This 0.87 inch fitness watch is available in black and blue band. This watch is capable of keeping track of your sleep patterns, distance, speed, and calories burnt. With an extended battery life you can also pair it with your phone to receive smart notifications. It is compatible with IOS 9 and above and Android 4.4.4 and above.
- Long battery life
- Smart notifications
- Fitness tracker
- No heart monitor
- Low water resistance
Factors to Consider When Shopping for a Sports Watch
Before we render our verdict, what are the features to look out for when shopping for outdoor gear?
- Battery life. Settle for a sports watch with a long lasting battery life if you’re always outdoors.
- Compatibility. Some watches don’t have a multi-sports mode limiting them to select activities. Confirm that your preferred watch supports whichever sport you intend to use it for. I would recommend watches with multi-sport support.
- Intelligence. You don’t want to be carrying your phone each time you are working out. A smart watch can be synced with your phone to receive notifications besides several other numerous possibilities.
- Durability. Fashion might be compromised a bit here but sports watches by their very nature wear out easily. A durable watch should serve you for a reasonable time.
- Band. The band should be one that is comfortable on your wrist as well as durable. Some watches such as the fitbit charge 2 have a provision for switching between different skins.
- Water and shock proofing. A watch that can withstand fall or deep water is most certainly a priced possession. It is no wonder why Casio G-Shock watches are popular amongst many sportsmen.
- Quality. Never compromise on quality just because you want to cut on cost. Remember; “Cheap is expensive”. Buy from a recognized, tested, and approved brand.
There is a need to appreciate that each watch has its strengths which gives it a competitive edge over the other. That said, after much analysis and reviews the Garmin HR takes the day. It is a powerhouse of all features found in the other watches shy for a fancy design. I would still recommend it for its versatility with so many needs. However, the best watches for active lifestyle decision rest on you. Get that watch that will serve your chief purposes without failure. A watch is just as important as the clothes you wear so be sure to choose wisely to make a positive fashion statement.