Dealing with heel spurs can be a painful and frustrating challenge, especially for those who are passionate about running. Whether you’re a seasoned athlete or a casual jogger, the best running shoes for heel spurs can make all the difference in making your runs pain-free.
In this comprehensive review, we’ll look into the top running shoe options for both men and women. These are meticulously selected to alleviate discomfort and provide the support needed for an enjoyable running experience.
From cushioned soles to innovative designs, we’ve got your heel spurs covered, ensuring your runs are not just painless but also a pleasure.
We hope you love the products we recommend! We only have products that we thoroughly investigate and believe are of real value to you.
As an Amazon Associate, Sports Send earns from qualifying purchases and collects a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. It is at no extra cost to you.
Table could not be displayed.
3 Men’s Best Running Shoes for Heel SpursNo products found.
The HOKA ONE ONE Bondi 8 is a maximally cushioned shoe ideal for runners with heel pain. It has a wide, rockered sole that helps reduce stress on your heels and joints.
- Maximal Cushioning: The HOKA ONE ONE Bondi 8’s standout feature is its maximal cushioning, ensuring a plush and supportive ride. It minimizes the impact on your heels and provides excellent shock absorption, reducing discomfort and stress on the affected area.
- Meta-Rocker Technology: The shoe incorporates a Meta-Rocker technology that promotes a smooth, rolling motion that makes it easier on your heels and joints. This design assists in reducing heel pain by ensuring a more natural and efficient gait.
- Wide Toe Box: To enhance overall comfort and reduce forefoot pressure, the Bondi 8 features a spacious toe box. It accommodates toe splay and minimizes potential issues such as bunions, which can exacerbate heel spur discomfort.
- Exceptional shock absorption
- Suitable for both heel spur and plantar fasciitis sufferers
- Lightweight for a maximal cushioned shoe
- May lack responsiveness for some runners
- Relatively high price point
The Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 is a stability shoe that provides good arch support and cushioning, making it a good choice for runners with heel spurs. It also has a wide toe box to allow your toes to spread out naturally.
- GuideRails Technology: Besides exceptional arch support, the Adrenaline GTS 22 features GuideRails technology. These innovative support elements help keep your excess movement in check, providing stability not only for your heels but also for your entire body during the run.
- BioMoGo DNA Midsole: The shoe’s BioMoGo DNA midsole adapts to your individual stride, offering personalized cushioning and responsiveness. This dynamic midsole technology ensures every step is tailored to your comfort and support needs.
- Breathable Mesh Upper: The shoe incorporates a breathable mesh upper, enhancing airflow and reducing moisture buildup, which is especially important for long runs. This contributes to an overall cool and dry experience, preventing discomfort that can exacerbate heel spur pain.
- Exceptional stability
- Suitable for overpronators
- Durable construction for long-lasting use
- Slightly on the heavier side
- Some users may find the fit too narrow
The New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 V13 is a neutral shoe with a soft, responsive midsole that provides excellent cushioning. It also has a wide heel cup to help keep your heel in place.
- Soft and Responsive Fresh Foam: The New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 V13 is known for its soft and responsive midsole, thanks to the Fresh Foam technology. This innovative cushioning system not only provides excellent heel support but also offers a comfortable and responsive ride.
- Wide Heel Cup: To ensure a secure fit and minimize heel movement, the shoe incorporates a wide heel cup. This prevents unwanted motion that can lead to further heel irritation, making it effective for heel spur relief.
- Neutral Design: The shoe’s neutral design allows for natural foot movement, accommodating various foot types. It doesn’t force your foot into a specific motion. Instead, it works with your natural stride while providing the necessary support for heel spur relief.
- Plush and comfortable ride
- Good for heel spur prevention and relief
- Adequate breathability in the upper
- Some may find it lacks the level of arch support needed
- Sizing may run a bit small for some users
Table could not be displayed.
3 Women’s Best
Running Shoes for Heel SpursNo products found.
Recommended by Dr. Lobkova for its engineered sole, the New Balance 990 V5 supports the foot’s natural alignment and provides mild arch support.
- Engineered Sole: The New Balance 990 V5 is praised for its engineered sole that promotes the foot’s natural alignment. This helps reduce stress on the heel and arch, making it an excellent choice for individuals with heel spurs.
- ENCAP Midsole Technology: The ENCAP midsole technology combines soft EVA cushioning with a durable polyurethane rim. It provides superior support, cushioning, and stability, addressing the specific needs of those with heel spurs.
- Made in the USA: New Balance proudly manufactures the 990 V5 in the USA, ensuring high-quality construction and materials. The dedication to craftsmanship contributes to the shoe’s durability and longevity.
- Excellent choice for those seeking natural alignment and mild arch support
- High durability for long-term use
- Impressive cushioning and stability
- May not provide enough arch support for severe overpronators
- Some may find the design less visually appealing
The Saucony Triumph 20 is a neutral shoe with a soft, cushioned midsole and a wide toe box. It also has a heel stabilizer to help keep your heel in place.
- PWRRUN+ Cushioning: The Saucony Triumph 20 features PWRRUN+ cushioning in the midsole, providing a plush and responsive ride. This advanced cushioning technology absorbs shock effectively, reducing discomfort associated with heel spurs.
- FORMFIT Technology: Saucony incorporates FORMFIT technology into the shoe’s design. This means you get a personalized fit that adapts to your foot shape. In turn, this ensures not only comfort but also enhanced heel support.
- Lightweight and Breathable: The Triumph 20 is designed to be lightweight and breathable, contributing to a comfortable running experience. It allows for temperature regulation and moisture management, reducing the risk of blisters and discomfort.
- It provides a comfortable and cushioned ride
- Wide toe box enhances overall comfort
- Heel stabilizer contributes to heel support
- May lack the specific arch support needed for severe cases
- Sizing may vary, requiring careful selection
Ideal for runners suffering from heel pain, the HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 9 stands out as a lightweight shoe offering maximum cushioning. Its broad, rockered sole serves to alleviate strain on your heels and joints, making it a valuable choice.
- Maximal Cushioning and Lightweight: The HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 9 combines maximal cushioning with a lightweight build. The generous cushioning helps reduce heel impact, while the shoe’s overall lightness minimizes strain during runs.
- Meta-Rocker Technology: Aside from impressive cushioning, the shoe incorporates Meta-Rocker technology that promotes a smooth and efficient gait cycle. This reduces stress on heels and joints, ensuring a more comfortable and pain-free running experience.
- Breathable and Secure Upper: The Clifton 9 features a breathable upper with a secure fit. It keeps feet cool and dry while offering a locked-in feeling, preventing unnecessary heel movement.
- Exceptional shock absorption for heel pain relief
- Meta-Rocker technology enhances gait efficiency
- Breathable and secure upper design
- May not provide enough stability for severe overpronators
- Considered a bit pricey by some
How To Choose the Best Running Shoes for Heel Spurs
When selecting the best running shoes for heel spurs, there are several key factors to consider. Each element plays a crucial role in ensuring your footwear not only provides comfort but also addresses the specific needs associated with heel spurs.
1. Arch Support
One of the most critical aspects to examine when choosing running shoes for heel spurs is arch support. Heel spurs often go hand-in-hand with overpronation or supination, where the arch of the foot either collapses or remains too rigid.
Look for running shoes with adequate arch support to help distribute pressure evenly and reduce strain on the heel.
2. Cushioning for Shock Absorption
Heel spurs can cause excruciating pain upon impact while running. Therefore, it’s essential to opt for shoes with excellent cushioning technology. Brands often employ various materials like gel, air pockets, or foam to absorb shock and provide a more comfortable running experience.
3. Heel Cup Design
A well-constructed heel cup ensures your heel remains stable within the shoe, reducing the risk of further irritation or inflammation. Look for shoes with deep and supportive heel cups.
4. Proper Fit and Sizing
Ill-fitting shoes can exacerbate heel spurs and lead to discomfort during your runs. Make sure to measure your feet accurately and select the appropriate size based on the brand’s sizing chart. Consider trying the shoes on in-store or purchasing from retailers with a hassle-free return policy.
5. Lightweight and Breathable Materials
Lightweight shoes reduce the strain on your feet, ankles, and calves. Additionally, breathable materials like mesh or perforated uppers help in moisture management, reducing the chances of blisters and discomfort during prolonged runs.
6. Stability and Motion Control
For individuals with severe overpronation, stability or motion control shoes are often recommended. These types of shoes provide extra support to prevent excessive inward rolling of the foot, reducing strain on the heel.
7. Flexibility and Responsiveness
While support is crucial, your running shoes should also offer a degree of flexibility and responsiveness. These qualities enable your foot to move naturally and efficiently, enhancing your overall running experience.
8. Consider Your Running Surface
Different running surfaces demand different shoe characteristics. If you primarily run on trails, opt for trail running shoes that offer better traction and protection against uneven terrain. Road runners should look for shoes with sufficient cushioning for pavement impact.
9. Seek Expert Advice
If you’re unsure about the best running shoes for your heel spurs, consult a podiatrist or a specialized running store. They can analyze your gait, arch, and foot shape to recommend the most suitable options.
10. Budget Considerations
While investing in quality running shoes is essential for managing heel spurs, it’s also important to consider your budget. Fortunately, there are excellent options available at various price points, so you can find the right balance between affordability and performance.
Running Shoes for Heel Spurs FAQs
1. What are the best shoes to wear if you have a heel spur?
The best shoes for heel spurs should offer ample arch support, cushioning, and a well-constructed heel cup to minimize discomfort. Look for brands specializing in running or athletic shoes, as they often incorporate these features to address heel spur issues effectively.
2. Is it OK to run with heel spurs?
Running with heel spurs can be done, but it’s essential to choose the right footwear and take precautions. Opt for running shoes designed to alleviate heel spur pain and consider consulting a healthcare professional for personalized guidance on managing your condition while running.
3. Are Hokas good for heel spurs?
Hoka One One shoes are known for their cushioning and comfort, making them a viable option for individuals with heel spurs. Many Hoka shoes offer excellent shock absorption and arch support, which can alleviate heel spur discomfort. Try them on to ensure they fit your specific foot shape and needs.
4. Are Brooks shoes good for heel spurs?
Brooks running shoes are recommended for individuals with heel spurs due to their support and cushioning. In fact, Brooks offers a range of shoes designed to address various foot issues.
When looking for the best running shoes for heel spurs, the importance of comfort, support, and performance cannot be overstated. Heel spurs can be painful for runners, but with the right footwear, you can conquer the miles with confidence.
Ultimately, the best men’s running shoe for heel spurs is the HOKA ONE ONE Bondi 8, offering maximal cushioning and a smooth, stress-reducing ride. For women, the top choice is the New Balance 990 V5, known for its engineered sole and mild arch support that provide both comfort and natural alignment.
Remember, finding the perfect running shoe is a personal journey. Consider your specific needs, foot shape, and preferences to make an informed choice.
Don’t hesitate to seek professional guidance if you’re unsure, and invest in footwear that not only supports your heels but also fuels your passion for running. With the right shoes, every step can be a pain-free and enjoyable adventure.