Have you been wondering how to start jogging on a treadmill? Until most recently, jogging has gained popularity among many people who are out to keep fit and lose that extra weight. What’s more, thanks to modern technology, you can jog within the confines of your home using a treadmill. So is running on the treadmill effective? Yes, it is.
It is also possible to work out every muscle in your body just running on a treadmill. Furthermore, treadmills can be used by just about anyone. This article will be helpful if you are not sure how to start jogging on a treadmill
Is Running On the Treadmill Effective?
Most people, unfortunately, do not know how to start jogging on a treadmill. This begs the question, is running on the treadmill effective? We believe that if done in the recommended manner, the outcome is beyond satisfactory.
There are hundreds of work-out routines that you can apply to tune into shape. In a single 30-minute jog, you can burn up to 500 calories. That makes an average of one pound lost per week. So is running on a treadmill effective? Absolutely yes!
In addition to training, you can use the treadmill to keep fit. However, losing weight is a process. As such, it takes a considerable amount of time before results start becoming visible. It would be misplaced if you expected to make the pounds melt off immediately you hop on the treadmill. These high expectations are what make most people quit working out right after starting.
Tips When Jogging on a Treadmill
If you are beginning to jog on a treadmill for the first time try the following tips:
Do not just plunge into instant fast speeds on the treadmill. This will strain your muscles. Start gradually and pace up over time as your muscles adapt. We would recommend starting with a 5-minute walk that transitions into quick steps until you are fully comfortable to run without much struggle. Finish up by pacing down to slow your steps for another 5 minutes.
Exercise for a fixed duration
It is advisable while jogging on a treadmill to measure your work-out sessions by the time spent rather than the distance covered. This will motivate you to keep going further unlike using fixed distances, which wear you out too soon. Build up the time until you reach a minimum of twenty minutes in a single run
Increase mileage proportionately
Shin splints and other running-related injuries occur because of prematurely extending mileage. If you begin to experience some soreness following your workouts, take a little break. Have a day off jogging to recover and when you resume, don’t hit the treadmill on an intense pace. Alternatively, you can walk instead of jogging.
Incline your treadmill
The main difference between real-time running and running on a treadmill is that there is no wind resistance. To make up for this set the treadmill to incline at 1%. You can switch between flat surface runs and inclines to make the experience more fun.
Integrate music or podcasts
Now that you know how to run on the treadmill, what do you do to avoid the boredom as you stare at the same wall for hours on end? You can listen to your favorite music or podcast to switch your mind from being bored. This renders you more motivated to work out.
The Benefits Associated With Exercising on a Treadmill
Why should you settle for running on a treadmill when there is a tone of other work out routines? Is running on the treadmill effective? The following benefits have been associated with using a treadmill:
- You can easily track your progress: Modern treadmills have advanced settings that allow you to keep track of the distance you cover and your pulse rate among other features. This comes in handy especially if you are working against a scheduled target.
- Lose weight faster: It is possible to burn 229 calories running at 6mph continuously for just twenty minutes. Coupled with a healthy diet, you are assured of achieving your weight loss goals within a short period.
- Health benefits: Running on a treadmill strengthens the heart, reduces blood pressure, and improves blood flow in your body. This goes a long way in reducing the stress on your heart.
- Convenience: Treadmills are convenient in that you don’t have to leave the confines of your house to work out. In addition, you can work out at whichever time you prefer. It is thus easier to maintain consistency with a treadmill.
- Full body Exercise: Running on a treadmill exercises practically every muscle in your body. If well utilized, treadmills can put you in good shape both physically and mentally.
Treadmills are one of the most versatile exercise equipment. Any person who is looking to lose weight quickly or just keep fit without breaking much sweat can use them. The secret is to remain consistent and make your work-out routine interesting.
Alternatively, you can also opt for a professional trainer to help you with the sessions in case you have doubt. So is running on the treadmill effective? If you have already tried it, I believe you have the answer.
The only downside to running on a treadmill is working out in the same environment continuously. This should not be a big pushback though if you are focused on your goals. Now that you know how to start jogging on a treadmill, why don’t you go ahead and try it? Remember to have some fun while at it.