Fitness technology has gradually become better at monitoring your physical performance in daily exercises. In light of this, Garmin Ltd are doing their best to step up their game each year. They integrated the key aspects of fitness management into one light watch. In this article, we seek to answer the question that has been in every aspiring runner’s mind. How accurate are Garmin running watches? As we discuss Garmin forerunner 35 vs vivoactive hr features and performance.
Some research shows that Garmin watches, like many other GPS watches, have slightly inaccurate GPS tracking. Some of their newer products however like the Garmin Vivoactive 3 demonstrates promising accuracy excellence. Regardless, the watches are always reliable enough for all your running needs. They display how far you have gone and how fast you are going.
However, some of the Garmin products do significantly better than others. For example, you may be wondering, is Garmin 35 waterproof? Let me give you a better perspective on what you are getting with Garmin.
We hope you love the products we recommend! We only products that we thoroughly investigate and believe is a real value for you.
Sports Send may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. It is at no extra cost for you.
The Garmin Forerunner 35 WatchCHECK LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON.COM
Released in August 2016, the Garmin Forerunner 35 is a GPS watch with heart monitor and activity tracker. It tracks your pace, distance, sleep, calories, and then analyses the data from these events. This information is then sent to your phone as notifications.
Measuring 23.4 by 23.4 mm, the Garmin Forerunner 35 has a square design face with round corners and half an inch thick. It has a resolution of 128 x 128 pixels with a bright backlight perfect for outdoor usage.
- The watch has a user-friendly virtual pacer that you use to set a pace. It then notifies you when you start falling behind.
- It has predefined profiles for running, cycling, walking, and cardio exercises.
- An accelerometer that continuously senses the user’s orientation.
- The Garmin Elevate Wrist Heart Rate Monitor consistently checks and records your heart rate.
- The activity tracking utility does a superb job.
- Sleep monitors check how much you sleep.
- Move IQ records your activity patterns (walking, running, cycling, swimming, and cardio) for more than 10 minutes.
- Auto Goal automatically creates a daily step goal for you after learning your activity level.
With all of these features, is Garmin 35 waterproof? Yes, the watch has a water resistance of up to 50 meters. It, however, cannot ideally be used to track swimming sessions. On the other hand, you can at least take it with you deep inside the pool without it getting spoilt.
- Light with quality display and heart rate monitors.
- Easy to use and therefore suitable for beginners.
- Incredible activity tracking capabilities.
- Relatively cheaper than other GPS smartwatches.
- Exceptional remote connection capabilities.
- The heart rate sensor, though normally accurate, becomes unreliable when used in high-intensity activities like swimming.
- The black and white graphics and the square design might not impress you.
Garmin Vivoactive 3 GPS SmartwatchCHECK LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON.COM
Garmin Ltd officially launched this device in November 2017 following its successful predecessor; the Garmin Vivoactive Hr. The Garmin Vivoactive 3 Gps Smartwatch is multisport smartwatch like the Forerunner 35 but features a few fundamental differences.
First, its design is small. Measuring 43.4 x 43.4 x 11.7 mm, this is one of the smallest watches Garmin Ltd has ever produced. The face is circular with a Corning Gorilla Glass to improve its strength. The polycarbonate body also takes the durability and resistance to scratches to a whole new level.
- The chemically improved glass screen has antiglare that significantly enhances its scratch resistance.
- It has a stainless steel cover with a fibre-reinforced polymer
- Flexible quick-release silicone straps.
- Colored transflective memory-in-pixel display size. The display additionally has a 30.4mm diameter, 240 x 240-pixel resolution and responsive touchscreen.
- Allows saving to 14 days of active activity tracking.
- GLONASS instead of GPS system provides better accuracy at the expense of coverage.
- In-built barometric altimeter, compass, accelerometer, and thermometer, together with the famous Garmin Elevate Wrist Heart Rate Monitor.
- Bluetooth Smart and ANT connectivity that allows ranged communication with smartphones to send notifications. This feature also enables a newly developed smartphone music control.
- Garmin Pay, which aids in making quick, contactless purchases while on the move.
- Garmin Connect: a free online forum for sharing thoughts, progress and activities. The feature synchronizes your progress with the Garmin Connect Mobile app and posts this information.
- Activity tracking tools that help you monitor your exercises, runs, and many more fitness activities.
- More accurate GLONASS tracking system.
- Improved and hence more precise heart monitor
- Appealing design that mimics a regular wrist watch
- Payments are made easier with the Garmin Pay utility.
- Advanced activity trackers. The VO2 max score in particular, present in the activity tracking tool, gives more motivation to put in more effort.
- Slightly expensive. The many added features give it a higher retail price.
- Comparatively short battery life. The smartwatch mode remains active for a maximum of 7 days compared to other GPS watches which take over eight days.
Comparison of the Garmin Vivoactive 3 and the Garmin forerunner 35
It is a newer product, and hence the Garmin Vivoactive 3 easily brags more features than the Forerunner 35. The many attributes are perfect for people who want to keep up with every progress of their fitness.
On the contrary, if you only want to focus on your running and aren’t interested in sharing your achievements, then the Garmin Forerunner is the better option. The Forerunner can stay alive two days longer than the Vivoactive since it doesn’t consume as much power.
Additionally, since the GPS system has 32 orbiting satellites, the Forerunner can be used in many more different locations. The Vivoactive 3 uses the GLONASS system which only has 24 orbiting satellites. The fewer satellites consequently make the GLONASS system less accurate in southern geographic regions but are more accurate in the northern parts.
So there you have it; the Garmin forerunner 35 vs vivoactive hr review. Garmin smartwatches continue to surprise us every day as you never know what cool new traits they’ve added.
6 thoughts on “Garmin Forerunner 35 Vs Vivoactive Hr Reviews”
Thank you kindly for creating and sharing your thoughts in regards to this garmin watch-heart rate monitor. It is appreciated, thanks.
I am actually glad that I found this article and read it as this type of product could be exactly what I am looking for. May I ask you. as the expert if this or a similar model be able to be programmed to monitor my heart rate and use it for high intensity training?.
I ask as you mention that has an alarm that can be set. My thinking is set the alarm when my heart rate drops out of the high intensity range for my age, thus aiding me to maintain a high rate of intensity and thus a good cardio session.
Thank you kindly in advance
Hi, Derek Marshall and thank you.
Very good and interesting questions, I understand so well what you have in mind.
Let’s start with that the wrist-based heart rate is a big step and made it more comfortable and easier to use than much other heart rate system for running, gym and other activities. No chest strap is a very important step in my opinion.
About programme the monitor to heart rate, it´s not possible, I´m sorry. But the data you get it´s good to work from to see your development. It´s a free app to your smartphone.
I have to admit I have not heard of this product in particular but now I’m interested. My son is a runner I use to be but can’t anymore but I do swim. I noticed in your site you indicated that this watch is not good for swimming. What makes this product so much better than the others because it is a bit pricey. I really like compression gear especially socks and leg gear. I think people who aren’t athletic don’t realize how important compression gear is. I liked the information of Under Armour vs. Nike, personally I like Under Armour better.
Hi, Christine and thank you.
Garmin running watches is famous and very popular for high quality. And very accurate data.
About the reason for my opinion that it is not excellent for swimming is that the heart rate sensor, though normally accurate, becomes unreliable when used in high-intensity activities like swimming.
About the price. There are many kinds of running watches. A lot of excellent brands like Garmin, Polar, Fitbit and many more. But the watches is all different with a lot of factors you need to think about if it fits in what you are looking for. In my opinion, the price is fair when you take in all the things which are included. For example, the Garmin Forerunner 35 is very good in recognizer different kind of movements, like in all Garmin watches is huge of data for the day (like sleep, distance, calories etc) and it is very easy to use.
Plus it is cheaper than many for the GPS watches but the GSP factor is an expensive part of most running watches. Not the GPS is not needed for all people and I, for example, don´t need it so I use another type of Garmin running watch. But this was the longer answear. The short answear is that the many added added features give it a higher retail price, well worth it even so in my opinion.
But I want to thank you for asking about the price part because it is an important part of the service to have a solution and possibility for all kind of people. Some want this and other that and the most important thing is to find out what you want. Then you can start searching with that in mind. And I want to have here things for all people to help them. And for people which want more simple and cheaper watcher can get good ideas in this article which give 3 ideas of good watches for under $ 100.
And thank you too for kind words about the informative articles about compression gear and the comparing between Under Armour vs Nike.
Thanks for this article! I always use my phone while on long runs- I get to listen to music whilst tracking my runs at the same time. Recently though, I have been thinking that it might be worth investing in a running watch; seems like it is easier to set up and you don’t have to worry about how to carry it around. While I am still in the process of looking though, and since the virtual pace function sounds so good; is there any way to find an app that analyser the date which comes from the watch?
Hi, Danny and thank you.
Running is great to get extra performance on your running. It has been showed that 70% of the people in the gym which use running watches get better results. They know how to pulse all the time so they have him right, no matter they need to get it higher or lower.
And about a good app which you can see information from your watch.
Garmin Connect is great! This is a free online app for sharing thoughts, progress and activities. The feature synchronizes your progress with the Garmin Connect Mobile app and posts this information. I used it personally and like it a lot, very motivated to see the information and give you an idea about if you are on right track or not.