Fitness technology has gradually become better at monitoring your physical performance in daily exercises. In light of this, Garmin Ltd are doing their best to step up their game each year. They integrated the key aspects of fitness management into one light watch. In this article, we seek to answer the question that has been in every aspiring runner’s minds. How accurate are Garmin running watches? As we discuss Garmin forerunner 35 vs vivoactive hr features and performance.
Some research shows that Garmin watches, like many other GPS watches, have slightly inaccurate GPS tracking. Some of their newer products however like the Garmin Vivoactive 3 demonstrates promising accuracy excellence. Regardless, the watches are always reliable enough for all your running needs. They display how far you have gone and how fast you are going.
However, some of the Garmin products do significantly better than others. For example, you may be wondering, is Garmin 35 waterproof? Let me give you a better perspective on what you are getting with Garmin.
The Garmin Forerunner 35 Watch
Released in August 2016, the Garmin Forerunner 35 is a GPS watch with heart monitor and activity tracker. It tracks your pace, distance, sleep, calories, and then analyses the data from these events. This information is then sent to your phone as notifications.
Measuring 23.4 by 23.4 mm, the Garmin Forerunner 35 has a square design face with round corners and half an inch thick. It has a resolution of 128 x 128 pixels with a bright backlight perfect for outdoor usage.
- The watch has a user-friendly virtual pacer that you use to set a pace. It then notifies you when you start falling behind.
- It has predefined profiles for running, cycling, walking, and cardio exercises.
- An accelerometer that continuously senses the user’s orientation.
- The Garmin Elevate Wrist Heart Rate Monitor consistently checks and records your heart rate.
- The activity tracking utility does a superb job.
- Sleep monitors check how much you sleep.
- Move IQ records your activity patterns (walking, running, cycling, swimming, and cardio) for more than 10 minutes.
- Auto Goal automatically creates a daily step goal for you after learning your activity level.
With all of these features, is Garmin 35 waterproof? Yes, the watch has a water resistance of up to 50 meters. It, however, cannot ideally be used to track swimming sessions. On the other hand, you can at least take it with you deep inside the pool without it getting spoilt.
- Light with quality display and heart rate monitors.
- Easy to use and therefore suitable for beginners.
- Incredible activity tracking capabilities.
- Relatively cheaper than other GPS smartwatches.
- Exceptional remote connection capabilities.
- The heart rate sensor, though normally accurate, becomes unreliable when used in high-intensity activities like swimming.
- The black and white graphics and the square design might not impress you.
Garmin Vivoactive 3 GPS Smartwatch
Garmin Ltd officially launched this device in November 2017 following its successful predecessor; the Garmin Vivoactive Hr. The Garmin Vivoactive 3 Gps Smartwatch is multisport smartwatch like the Forerunner 35 but features a few fundamental differences.
First, its design is small. Measuring 43.4 x 43.4 x 11.7 mm, this is one of the smallest watches Garmin Ltd has ever produced. The face is circular with a Corning Gorilla Glass to improve its strength. The polycarbonate body also takes the durability and resistance to scratches to a whole new level.
- The chemically improved glass screen has antiglare that significantly enhances its scratch resistance.
- It has a stainless steel cover with a fibre-reinforced polymer
- Flexible quick-release silicone straps.
- Colored transflective memory-in-pixel display size. The display additionally has a 30.4mm diameter, 240 x 240-pixel resolution and responsive touchscreen.
- Allows saving to 14 days of active activity tracking.
- GLONASS instead of GPS system provides better accuracy at the expense of coverage.
- In-built barometric altimeter, compass, accelerometer, and thermometer, together with the famous Garmin Elevate Wrist Heart Rate Monitor.
- Bluetooth Smart and ANT connectivity that allows ranged communication with smartphones to send notifications. This feature also enables a newly developed smartphone music control.
- Garmin Pay, which aids in making quick, contactless purchases while on the move.
- Garmin Connect: a free online forum for sharing thoughts, progress and activities. The feature synchronizes your progress with the Garmin Connect Mobile app and posts this information.
- Activity tracking tools that help you monitor your exercises, runs, and many more fitness activities.
- More accurate GLONASS tracking system.
- Improved and hence more precise heart monitor
- Appealing design that mimics a regular wrist watch
- Payments are made easier with the Garmin Pay utility.
- Advanced activity trackers. The VO2 max score in particular, present in the activity tracking tool, gives more motivation to put in more effort.
- Slightly expensive. The many added features give it a higher retail price.
- Comparatively short battery life. The smartwatch mode remains active for a maximum of 7 days compared to other GPS watches which take over eight days.
Comparison of the Garmin Vivoactive 3 and the Garmin forerunner 35
It is a newer product, and hence the Garmin Vivoactive 3 easily brags more features than the Forerunner 35. The many attributes are perfect for people who want to keep up with every progress of their fitness.
On the contrary, if you only want to focus on your running and aren’t interested in sharing your achievements, then the Garmin Forerunner is the better option. The Forerunner can stay alive two days longer than the Vivoactive since it doesn’t consume as much power.
Additionally, since the GPS system has 32 orbiting satellites, the Forerunner can be used in many more different locations. The Vivoactive 3 uses the GLONASS system which only has 24 orbiting satellites. The fewer satellites consequently make the GLONASS system less accurate in southern geographic regions but are more accurate in the northern parts.
So there you have it; the Garmin forerunner 35 vs vivoactive hr review. Garmin smartwatches continue to surprise us every day as you never know what cool new traits they’ve added.